About Me

My photo
Where do I begin? I guess At the beginning! I live in beautiful Tasmania, Australia with my wonderful hubby, Matthew and our four angels (part time devils) Isaac, Reuben, Isabella, and Charlotte. Currently I'm a stay-at-home mum and I absolutely love that. Nothing else compares. I'm also studying the Master of Teaching part-time and I'm serving as the relief society president of our ward. I love being outside, especially in summer. I love big windows & lots of light. I love swimming, running and mowing the lawn! my favourite vegetable is carrots (or potatoes if mum's baked them) and I love fresh fruit salad. My most favourite thing to do is spend time with my precious family.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Tathra

Just outside of Merimbula is a little seaside town called Tathra. We really only stopped to take some photos but found out a couple of tidbits of information - even good ol' Tassie gets a mention!

This is the view from a place called 'Pig & Whistle Lookout'. It was named by Morgan Smith from Tathra Primary school in a competition. The name was chosen based on this bit of Tathra's history; Between 1862 and 1954 sailing and steam ships docking at the nearby Tathra Warf were commonly known as vessels of the 'Pig & Whistle Fleet'. The ship carried many live pigs as cargo, who always burst into a wild screaming frenzy, every time the ships piercing whistle was sounded. Thus the name 'Pig & Whistle Fleet' was born.



This part of the coastline is also home to another lookout and plaque entitled ' A DESPERATE WALK TO SAFETY', which was laid in 1997 to recognise 17 brave sailors from 'The Sydney Cove' who, in April 1797, walked this coastline as part of their epic 640km trek from Victoria's Gippsland coast to Botany Bay Sydney to seek help for their companions. The Syndey Cove was shipwrecked on what is now known as Preservation Island situated off the coast of North Eastern Tasmania. The 17 sailors set out in a long boat, which was cast ashore, and began their long trek. Of the 17 that set out, 3 made it to Botany Bay.
I couldn't help but stop and ponder the actions and fate of these brave men (probably just boys really) and the irony of our beautiful coastline. For me it is simply majestic, one of God's greatest creations but for them it was probably their greatest challenges and ultimately, for most, their place of death. I bet they hated it!

1 comment:

Aimee said...

that water is so beautiful, lovely pictures...
sad about the story behind it. it sure makes me grateful for what we enjoy today.